Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CHARACTERS ARE SUCH--CHARACTERS!

Recently, I’ve been going through all my notes and files on my White Series Books with the intent of gathering information in order to write a reunion book and perhaps spin off some more White Series stories. As I am doing this, I find myself amazed over all the wonderful characters in these books, including all the secondary characters!
I’ve forgotten about so many of these great characters who complimented my hero and heroine’s! Readingabout them after so many years is like meeting up with old friends! A few might even be ready to volunteer for their own book.
 
Then there are all the children. Anyone who knows me also knows (with much eye rolling) that I LOVE babies. So it’s not surprising that my characters have children. Lots of children. I am a grandmother-in-waiting. I think that says it all. I want grandchildren. Alas, I may have to settle for giving my characters lots of children for the time being. But back to my topic here. When I left off with the different books in the series, many of my hero/heroines had at least one child. Most were babies in epilogues and now as I plan out the timelines, I get to magically watch them grow up and even give them siblings (sorry children) and also, see who has the potential for the next generation of books.
 
It’s the creation process all over again. Adding 10-15 or more years to this series, not just adds to the series total, but it changes everything and makes it all new again as I map out character charts and contemplate new plots and stories.
 
For instances, there are two girls who were adopted into the tribe in White Dove, by the hero and heroine (Jeremy and White Dove). One embraces the new life. The other is torn. What can I plot for these two girls? Then there is the believed nasty grandfather who wants them found and returned. Is he a man who loves his granddaughters or is a future villain. I could wink and say wait and find out but as of yet, I am not totally sure myself! So you see, there are many hidden stories in this series just waiting to be dug out and brought to light or to paper!
 
In my own books, one favorite couple were an old man and woman, both feisty. Rook was a grumpy old man who found love in White Wolf with an equally strong-willed and no-nonsense woman. In books written by other authors, I love Lulu, Ranger and Morelli in Janet Evonovitch’s Stephanie plum books. Then there is Hermione and Ron in the Harry Potter books, and among my favorites, Peabody, Feeney and McNab in J.D. Robb’s In Death series.
 
So, for readers who’ve read my series, who would you like to see more of? Who were your favorite secondary characters and who should I write about next? What family of children intrigue you?
 
If you are a writer, what are your thoughts on secondary characters and their role in your books or other books. Who are some of your favorite secondary characters.
 
I love secondary characters and the depth they bring to stories. How about you?

(http://susanedwards.com White Dawn, White Dusk, White Shadows, White Wind due to be re-released November 21st in digital format by http://carinapress)

5 comments:

  1. As an author I love the secondary characters because they add depth to the story and show us aspects of the main characters through their eyes, which we might otherwise not have seen.

    Maybe one of my favorite secondary characters is the MasterHarper Robinton in the original Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. Can't say much more about him without doing a spoiler but wow, was he real to ME!

    Great blog post, excellent food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think secondary characters are like frosting on the cake. I love them! There have been times a secondary character has taken the show away from a main character. This series sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Veronica. Well said.

    Shawna-thank you as well and yes, they are the desert to the main dish and I for one love my deserts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love secondary characters. As Shawna says, there are times when they take over the show. I love it when they demand to have their own story written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, this can be so much fun when our characters get in our faces!

    ReplyDelete